Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: The End of an Era?

Although it took a lot of work, I was able to snag last minute tickets to the midnight showing of the final installment of the Harry Potter film franchise. I'll talk about the movie itself in a bit, but the emotions that go along with the release of this movie are what's on the forefront of my mind.
As soon as I got home at about 2:30 AM I got out my Harry Potter notebook (yes, that's a thing I have) and wrote down the following:

"It has been 10 years, and the journey of book and film is complete. I have spent half my life a dedicated fan and follower of the Harry Potter series. It is hard to believe that the day that changed my life when I was 8 years old was a decade ago. Tonight, at midnight, I attended the last film; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. In a way, the movie tagline 'It All Ends,' is correct. There are no more books, and no more movies bringing those books to life on the big screen to look forward to. But it's not really over. For those of us like me, it never will be as long as we keep and cherish the magic of Harry Potter in our hearts.
It's hard for me to describe the feelings that I'm experiencing as I reflect on the past 10 years. I cannot imaging what my life would've been like if I hadn't picked up a battered copy of Sorcerer's Stone in my fourth grade classroom. From that day on, I was inspired to be all that I could be. I looked inside myself and was able to see what I needed and how Harry Potter could help me get there. I became a Gryffindor and transformed from a shy, easily frightened child into someone who strives every day to be brave, confident, just, chivalrous and everything else that the house stands for.
I have made some of the best friends I've ever had through Harry Potter and have had so many wonderful opportunities because of this.
I cannot thank J. K. Rowling enough for creating easily one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Words could never express my gratitude. I'd also like to thank everyone responsible for helping to publish and sell the books. A huge thank you to everyone involved in the making of the films as well, the hard work and dedication shown throughout 8 movies is truly inspirational.
Finally, I'd like to impart the single most important theme of the whole thing: love. I believe what I was taught beginning all those years ago: There is nothing more important and potent than the power of love."

Now! Onto the movie. Really there's not a whole ton to talk about without spoilers, which I don't usually do.

All in all, this was a good movie. There were some deviations from the book that I thought were unnecessary (they never learn), but some of these were due to circumstances outside of this individual movie, like the failure to introduce certain characters previously. That's not to excuse the script writing etc. of the other movies but that's why some of the scenes in this one were a bit lacking. I could go on to talk about other things that bothered me, but it may be a bit unfair because my perspective is that of the hugest Harry Potter detail nerd EVER. There were plenty of really good things about this movie that I think I can talk about though!
Of course, the cinematography, music and technical artistry were beyond superb and beautiful. The acting was fantastic, especially Helena Bonham Carter pretending to be Hermione pretending to be Bellatrix! The expected moments of triumph were satisfying and there are a few lines of script thrown in that were just perfect. There were also a few quirky things added in that were cute. I generally don't like anything being added in, but there are exceptions. And of course, it was a really freaking emotional movie. I'm not a movie crier, but I had tears in my eyes more than once.

Of course, I recommend seeing this film. You really have to have seen the other movies at least to know what's going on, but hey, you should watch them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment